Sandwich filled with clipfish Surinamese style.
INGREDIENTS (6 sandwiches):
– 500 g clipfish
– 2 onions
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 2 tomatoes
– sunflower oil
– black pepper
– 1 small Surinamese seasoning cube
– 2 tbs tomato paste
– juice of 1/2 lemon
– 4 sprigs of celery
– 6 Surinamese buns
– to serve: sambal and sour cucumber
- To desalt the cod, boil the pieces gently in water for 15 minutes. Then rinse under cold water and fluff the dried cod. Rinse well again, squeeze a little with your hands and let alone.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. A mincer is useful for this. Cut the tomatoes into cubes. Heat a generous splash of sunflower oil in a skillet. Fry the onion and garlic gently for a few minutes. Sprinkle with a pinch of black pepper and stir in the seasoning cube. The tomato paste can now also be added, fry it for 1 minute and spoon the tomato cubes through it. Cook for 1 minute again.
- Now the cod is added, mix well and cook for about 2 minutes. Then pour in a cup of water and squeeze half a lemon on top. Stir, cover the pan and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Taste in the meantime and possibly add some extra lemon juice to taste.
- In the meantime, chop the celery completely. Cut the pointed buns lengthwise and grill the insides in a grill pan or in the oven. At the last minute, stir in the celery.
- Cover a sandwich with a generous amount of the cod, put some cucumber on it and add sambal to taste.